Wednesday, May 30, 2018

My Journey as a TV Journalist

          Hello friends, it's been a long time since I shared the last blog post. In this article, I want to share my experiences as a News Reporter / TV Journalist at Rajawali Televisi (RTV) from January 2018 until May 2018. Before talking about my most memorable experiences, I want to explain how a News Reporter work each day.

Reporting news at Sudirman - Central Jakarta

          Unlike in News Televisions such as TV One, Kompas TV, iNews TV and others who has a specific reporter for lifestyle, sports, criminal, finance, etc. At Rajawali Televisi (RTV), News Reporter reports wide variety news topics each day. Included collecting datas and facts by research, interview, and observation. In the last step, we're also writing news script. In doing this, we should decide what angle we should write to make the news interesting and useful for people.

We're also write down the interview transcript from the video on the camera to the script, including the video file name and the timecode of when the interviewee talking. For example, we should take a 30 seconds as the most important part of interview, from a 10 minutes whole interview. Practices is needed to decide which part we should take.

News script I have made with Vice Chairman of Ombudsman Indonesia
as an interviewee, Lely Pelitasari Soebekty

        Smartphone is what we're using to create the news script and send the script by email to News Producer and News Coordinator. Mostly we're making the news script in car when we're on the way to the office. It's more complicated than what you thought, right? Yes, a reporter is not only reporting news in front of the camera like what people thought :)

When reporting the news, some people thought we're reading a script but it's wrong. We're actually should memorize the points what we're gonna reports to the camera. For example if the scripts we created has 8 or 10 paragraphs, then we should memorized it point by point.

Now, I want to share the most memorable things I have ever experienced as a News Reporter.

1. Disclosure of 1.3 Tons Cannabis in Polres Metro Jakarta Barat


          It was the first time I saw cannabis in my whole life, the biggest cannabis disclosure by Polda Metro Jaya. Polres Metro Jakarta Barat was revealed 1.3 tons of cannabis originally from Aceh. A car that carrying cannabis was arrested in Bakauheni, Lampung on January 31th.

2. Interviewing The Suspect of Child Sex Abuse


          This is "Babeh" (49 years old), a pedophile who has sex abused 41 kids in Tangerang, Banten. The neighbors said they thought he is a religious man and didn't expected he is a predator of childrens. It was also the very first time for me to visited a prison.

3. Disclosure of Drug Smuggling in Washing Machines


          This case is very unique, the drugs was hidden in washing machines to fools the polices. 12 washing machines was used to keep 228 plastics of drugs and 6 plastics of ecstasy.

4. Do News Coverage at Flood Location


          It was the first time I visited a flood location in Kampung Pulo, East Jakarta. I got a little accident then I was covered in mud when I returned to the office.

5. Took a Selfie with The South Korean Ambassador to Indonesia


          H.E Mr. Cho Tae-Young, I met him before he retired his job as a South Korean Ambassador to Indonesia. This man is very humble and friendly, he loves to sing Indonesian songs and has a beautiful voice.


      Even only for a short-time, I had many memorable experiences being a TV News Reporter. I am grateful to had this job and got many good friends at RTV :)

No comments:

Post a Comment